- Breast augmentation
- Nose reshaping
- Eyelid surgery
- Tummy tuck
What Kind of Person Gets Liposuction?
Possibly one of the biggest misconceptions about liposuction patients is they are always movie stars or women with low self-esteem. One study revealed while low self-esteem was a factor, “predictors for perceived benefits included religiousness, media consumption, life satisfaction, and biological sex.” And in 2018, more than 1.3 million men requested cosmetic procedures.
Liposuction Results Continue to be Predictable, Consistent
Although body sculpting is trending, liposuction continues to be the tried-and-true solution to fat removal. “With liposuction, one treatment may be all you need to reshape problem areas,” said Dr. Alan Matarasso, President, American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
“A plastic surgeon can treat more areas…in one procedure,” Matarasso continued. The ASPS continually studies nonsurgical fat reduction procedures as technology evolves.
Liposuction Myths, Misconceptions
Men are shattering the misconception that liposuction is a women-only cosmetic procedure. Men can be very loving people that don’t necessarily want love handles. Here are 8 more fallacies about liposuction:
- Fat cells will return anyway – No, the fat cells won’t “grow back.” But the remaining fat cells can grow and expand if you consume excessive calories and reduce exercises.
- It’s an easy way to lose weight – Lipo is not a weight-loss method. It’s a procedure to streamline and contour targeted body areas for someone who is already within a healthy weight range.
- It’s too dangerous – Patients that have received proper medical clearance and whose surgeon is board- and state-certified are at no more risk than with any other surgical procedure.
- Liposuction can tighten saggy skin – Liposuction could add-to a saggy-skin problem. A skin tightening procedure may be what your surgeon will recommend, either alone or in conjunction with lipo.
- Liposuction gets rid of belly fat and cellulite – Lipo removes soft fat tissue, not cellulite. Cellulite occurs when subcutaneous fat pushes fibrous, connective tissue bands. Lipo targets subcutaneous fat (below the skin and above the muscle). Other fat – under-muscle or around organs – can only be managed with a better diet and increased exercise.
- You can get back to your routine immediately – Even if your lipo is an outpatient or local anesthetic procedure, it’s surgery. You’ll have a recovery period that includes swelling, bruising, and soreness. Depending on the area(s) targeted, plan to take at least one week off work unless your surgeon tells you otherwise.
- You can lose weight – Patients average a 2-5-pounds weight loss. The best candidates for liposuction are within 30 pounds of their ideal weight.
- You may be too old for liposuction – Skin quality plays an important role in liposuction success, but any patient in good health can safely receive lipo. A positive medical examination will be required.
When It’s Time, We’re Here for You
When it’s time for you to look better, dress better…feel better, it’s time to contact us. Liposuction offers benefits to women and men that want to improve muscle tone appearance.
We’ll explain the procedures we believe will deliver the best results. We’ll help you understand ways to maximize liposuction and maintain your results longer.
We want to help you rediscover yourself. Call 386-317-0444 or contact the Florida Center for Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery today.